For years, your aging parent or loved one has successfully and safely lived alone. However, in the past several months you’ve noticed their health and/or appearance has declined considerably. If this scenario sounds familiar, your loved one may want to consider professional home care in Harrisburg. So how do you know if your loved one needs extra assistance? The following 6 signs are strong indicators that a home caregiver is needed to ensure your loved one’s safety, comfort and quality of life.
- Weight Loss – If your loved one is losing weight, he or she may not be eating enough or getting important nutrients. Sudden weight loss can also stem from an undiagnosed illness. In either situation, an in-home caregiver can ensure that your loved one eats regular, healthy meals.
- Forgetfulness– Increasing forgetfulness is a warning flag that your senior relative needs home care. For instance, forgetting to turn off the stove, a space heater, or the water in the bathtub could spell disaster. Other easy to identify signs that your loved one is becoming more forgetful include mail and laundry piling up and not paying – or forgetting to pay – monthly bills.
- Quitting Hobbies Once Enjoyed – Was your loved one an avid golfer, quilter, or restaurant patron, but no longer seems to enjoy his or her favorite pastimes? When people begin to lose interest in things they’ve enjoyed participating in for years, it could mean they are no longer physically or mentally be able to care for themselves.
- Struggling to Walk – If your loved one is struggling to walk, he or she may need assistance at home. For example, your senior relative might need help making it to the bathroom, navigating uneven surfaces, climbing stairs, getting the mail, or visiting the doctor’s office. While live-in caregivers are available, hourly care in Harrisburg can be a great option for minimal help with personal care needs and transportation.
- Forgetting to Take Medications – Are you concerned that your loved one is forgetting to take his or her medications? Failing to take necessary medications is a serious problem that could put your loved one’s life at risk. If he or she isn’t taking the right medications as scheduled, it’s a good time to consider an in-home caregiver who can make certain the right medications are taken at the right time.
If your loved one is displaying any of the aforementioned warning signs, consider the possibility of hiring a professional caregiver to get them the assistance they need. While this decision is a hard one to make, your loved one’s health and safety are too important to ignore. For more information on hourly or live-in care in Harrisburg, call Home Care at (717) 540-4663 today. A trusted and friendly Care Manager would be more than happy to answer your questions and can also help schedule a complimentary, no-obligation consultation.